Skip to content

 

Why Work for Us?

About Horder Healthcare

The Horder Centre was founded in 1954 by Cecilia Bochenek with Dr Joyce Peake, as a charity to provide care and support to those suffering with arthritis. It was named after its first President Lord Horder, a famous physician in his day.

Cecilia Bochenek contracted Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis at the age of six; Cecilia’s life was dedicated to helping others with similar health conditions to her own. Dr Joyce Peake, one of the first women graduates in medicine at a time when women were rarely found in the profession, became the charity’s first Medical Director. 

In 1960 Maureen, Marchioness of Dufferin and Ava, presented the charity with 13 acres of land, situated in the Ashdown Forest, in Crowborough. In memory of this donation the inpatient ward was later renamed the Dufferin Ward after the Marchioness. Following this donation a fundraising campaign culminated in the opening of The Horder Centre in 1966, by HRH Princess Margaret, who became the third President, after Lady Edwina, Countess Mountbatten of Burma.

The site soon became a popular medical centre and residential home for people suffering from arthritis. However, the advancement of drug therapy, such as steroids, thankfully negated the need for such facilities and people suffering from arthritis were able to care for themselves in their own homes and communities.

During this same period many elderly people retired to the south coast, which necessitated a different healthcare need. In 1989, the first operating suite was opened and The Horder Centre became an elective orthopaedic centre, specialising in joint replacement surgery.

Support us

Your support can help us continue our health services.

Support us

Leave feedback about Horder Healthcare or read patient reviews — NHS Choices website

Horder Healthcare is regulated by Care Quality Commission to provide care — Read the full report