1. Heat oil in a large pan, add chopped onions and fry gently, turn up the heat and add beef, fry until brown
2. Add sliced carrots, and chopped celery stir 3. Add sliced parsnips and fresh thyme
3. Stir in red wine and stock, bring to the boil and gently simmer for 1 ½ - 2 hours
To make the dumplings
1. Mix the suet, flour, parsley and fresh thyme in a bowl, add just enough water to bring the mixture together
2. Mix the corn flour with a little water and add to beef to your desired thickness
3. Roll the dumplings into small balls, about the size of a ping pong ball, and pop into the pan with the beef, put a lid on and simmer for 15 mins by which time the dumplings will have rise
4. Adjust seasoning and serve with a lovely creamy mash.