1. Peel and finely dice red onions and carrots.
2. Peel and crush garlic cloves.
3. In a large casserole dish/saucepan heat the oil on a medium heat and add onions and garlic. Cook gently for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the chopped carrots and cook for 1-2 minutes.
5. Chop the chorizo into 1cm cubes and add to the onion and garlic mix. Turn up the heat slightly, and stir continuously for a further 2-3 minutes.
6. When the chorizo begins to cook and release its oils, add the tinned tomatoes. Fill the now empty tomato tin with cold water and add this to the casserole dish.
7. Chop the peppers into 1 inch squares and add these to the mix.
8. Drain and rinse the chick peas and butter beans and add to casserole dish.
9. Add the whole chicken thighs into the casserole. These will be removed later and shredded, then re-added to the casserole. Alternatively, pre-diced chicken thighs will work just as well.
10. The liquid should cover the chicken and bean mix; if the casserole mix is not fully covered add enough water to cover the mix.
11. Crumble in the low salt stock cube, along with the paprika, chilli flakes and tomato puree and mix well. Add a couple of grinds of black pepper from the pepper mill.
12. Bring the casserole to the boil, then reduce to the lowest heat and cover with a lid. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, checking regularly to make sure the casserole does not dry out. Remove the lid halfway through cooking. If the casserole starts to look dry add more water.
13. After 1 hour and 15 minutes, remove the whole chicken thighs (if using) and shred into chunks with 2 forks. Add the shredded meat back into the casserole.
14. Stir well and add the raw washed spinach to the casserole. Stir well until the spinach has wilted into the casserole.
15. Taste the casserole; add more paprika or pepper if required.
16. Serve with crusty wholegrain bread for a hearty lunch.