1. Preheat oven to 150ºC heat
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan. Add half the lamb and fry until browned. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside, then brown the other half of the lamb and set aside.
3. Add the remaining oil to the pan. Add the onions and fry for 4–5 minutes until they begin to soften. Meanwhile, place the ginger, garlic and chilli into a small food processor and whizz until finely chopped.
4. Meanwhile, place the ginger, garlic and chilli into a small food processor and
whizz until finely chopped.
5. Crush the cardamom pods with the end of a rolling pin to split the husks, then remove the seeds and grind them to a fine powder in a pestle and mortar. Add to the pan along with the remaining spices and the garlic and ginger mixture.
6. Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and add the lamb. Bring to the boil, then cover and place in the oven to simmer for 1–2 hours until tender. Check the seasoning and serve.
7. For the Raita: Cut the cucumber in half lengthways, scoop out the seeds and cut the flesh into small cubes. Place in a bowl with the yoghurt and mint and chill for up to 2 days before serving.
8. For the tomato relish: Mix all the ingredients together and chill for up to 2 days before serving.