For the toffee sauce
1. Place the sugar in a small saucepan on a medium to high heat and cook until the sugar has turned to liquid and slightly started to colour.
2. Add the butter to the hot caramel, once completely melted, add the cream and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and allow to simmer until the sauce is smooth and all the caramel has dissolved.
For the cheesecake
1. Start by adding the melted butter and biscuit to a large bowl, ensure that the biscuit is completely coated in the butter then transfer to a 23cm tin. Place in the fridge until needed.
2. Preheat oven to 180c, reserve 150g of preserved apples and set aside.
3. Spoon remaining preserved apples over the biscuit base. In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth then add eggs and mix well. Pour over apple filling in the base.
4. Bake at 180c for 35 minutes, or until the centre has set. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature.
5. Mix the preserved apple and toffee sauce in a small saucepan. Heat for about a minute. Arrange the apple slices around the outside edge of the cheesecake. Spread caramel sauce evenly over. Decorate with pecan halves on the edge. Sprinkle with chopped pecans. Chill until ready to serve