Using lean cuts of pork and incorporating vegetables into the chilli helps to keep the fats down and increase fibre. Marinating the meat gives great flavour without the need to use a pre-made sauce.
Ingredients: (Serves 4-5)
450g Lean pork
1 large carrot
1 large courgette
1 large onion
2x 400g can of chopped tomatoes
400g can of red kidney beans
3 tbsp tomato puree
1 clove garlic
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp oregano
¾ tsp mild chilli powder
1. Chop the pork into small bite-sized pieces, place in a bowl and flavour with the cumin, paprika, oregano and chilli powder. Mix in and allow to stand.
2. Meanwhile, finely chop the onion, peel and chop the garlic.
3. Heat 1 tsp of oil (or use oil spray) in a pan and fry the onions and garlic until soft 3-5min.
4. Add the meat and cook for 3-5min minutes until browned.
5. Add the tomatoes and bring to the boil. Meanwhile grate the carrot and courgette.
6. Add the courgette, carrot and tomato puree, stir and bring back to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Drain and wash the kidney beans and add to the pan and cook for a further 10-15minutes.
Serve with rice.
Nutritional content: per serving
Calories 444 Kcal
Total fat 10g
– Saturated fat 3.6g
– Polyunsaturated fat 2.2g
– Monounsaturated fat 3.8g