Quinoa is a naturally gluten free high protein grain which is now widely available. These muffins are a great low fat alternative to a regular breakfast muffin.
Ingredients: (makes 12 muffins)
100g dried cherry mix
1 large apple, grated
2 tbsp sunflower oil
50g ground almond
50g wholegrain plain flour
2 tbsp flax seed (golden linseed)
¾ tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ tsp Baking powder
50g sunflower seed and pumpkin seed mix (or any seed mix)
1 tbsp orange juice
1. Wash the quinoa under running water in a fine sieve, this removes the bitter tasting saponin coating.
2. In a saucepan boil the quinoa in ½ pint of water along with the dried fruit, simmer for around 20mins until absorbed, then allow to cool.
3. Meanwhile, beat the eggs and add the quark, vanilla, apples, orange juice and mix well.
4. Add the quinoa and the remaining ingredients and continue to mix well.
5. Spoon into 12 muffin cases in a muffin tin and cook in a preheated oven at 180/160 fan for about 20 minutes.
Nutritional content: per muffin
Calories 143 Kcal
Total fat 6.5g
– Saturated fat 1.1g
– Polyunsaturated fat 2.7g
– Monounsaturated fat 1.7g