These vegetarian cakes are a great alternative to a regular burger, they are packed with vegetables and high in protein and fiber. They can be served as a main or to accompany other dishes.
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
1 x tin of chickpeas
1 x courgette grated
1 x large carrot grated
1 x onion chopped
1 x lemon for zest and juice
1 x red pepper chopped into small squares
1 x handful of breadcrumbs to hold mix
1) Process or mash the chickpeas to a rough mixture so they are still in pieces.
2) Fry the onion until cooked, take off the heat.
3) Add the remaining ingredients to the onion mix, then stir in the chickpeas.
4) The mixture should be soft, but strong enough to hold a patty shape. If it’s too soft, add breadcrumbs until it has reached the desired consistency.
5) Line a tray with parchment paper. Make the cakes using your hands (about the size of your palm), top the patty with cheese and a slice of tomato.
6) Bake for approximately 15 minutes and until the cheese has melted.