What is carpal tunnel syndrome?
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition where there is increased pressure on a nerve that crosses the front of your wrist (the median nerve).
The median nerve runs through a tight tunnel, together with the tendons that bend your fingers. If the tunnel becomes too tight it can cause pressure on the nerve, usually resulting in pain or numbness in the thumb, index and middle fingers.
Carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms
The symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome include:
- Pain in your fingers, hand or arm
- Numbness, tingling or pins and needles
- A weak thumb or difficulty gripping
- Symptoms often start slowly, often come and go and are usually worse at night.
Surgical treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome
Carpal tunnel release is usually performed under a local anaesthetic and takes about 20 minutes. You should be able to go home the same day.
Your surgeon will make a small cut on the palm of your hand. They will cut the tight ligament (called the flexor retinaculum) that forms the roof of the carpal tunnel. This stops the nerve being compressed.
This document is intended for information purposes only and should not replace advice that your relevant health professional would give you.
Prof Tim Davis (ChM FRCS)
Medical Illustration Copyright © Nucleus Medical Art. All rights reserved.
Copyright EIDO Systems International © 2000-2021
The operation and treatment information on this webpage is produced using information from EIDO Systems International and is licensed by Horder Healthcare. The information should not replace the advice that your relevant health professional would give you.
Guide price for self pay patients
Carpal Tunnel Release
|Estimated Cost *|
|Initial Consultation||from £220|
Estimated total cost from £2,175
Estimated length of stay Day Case
* The guide price is effective from 1st January 2022
The guide price is based on the usual clinical needs of patients. The price you pay might be different depending on your medical history and the type of implant you choose or your Consultant advises is best for you.
Your price quotation will be made clear to you before you proceed with any tests, consultations or treatment.
As a private patient, you don't have to wait for our outstanding care.
Our services are recognised by most of medical insurance companies.
Spread the cost of your treatment with Horder Healthcare 0% payment plans
The Horder Centre Price Promise
Our prices will always be totally transparent and when you are quoted an all-inclusive procedure price for your operation it will be inclusive of all costs – with no hidden surprises.
If you find an alternative private hospital in your local area offering a better price for the same procedure, sold with the same service conditions, we’ll lower our price* to equal it.
*terms and conditions apply
* Price Promise terms & conditions:
(1) Initial consultation(s), diagnostic scans/tests and investigations required to establish a diagnosis are not part of your procedure price.
(2) Our price promise does not include Private Patient Units at NHS hospitals.
(3) Local area defined as within 15 miles of The Horder Centre hospital.
(4) We will match against personalised, written quotes only.
(5) Quotations must be less than 90 days old.
(6) Patients must meet the clinical criteria for admission to the Horder Centre.
Get referred to Horder Healthcare today
Horder Healthcare provides the highest quality services to NHS, privately insured and self pay patients, from initial consultation and diagnostic tests right through to surgical treatment and rehabilitation.
We are a charity
We reinvest our profit to benefit more people and help us achieve our aim of advancing health.