Recovery following a total elbow replacement
You will need to use a support for the elbow for six weeks.
Regular exercise should help you to return to normal activities as soon as possible. Before you start exercising, you should ask a member of the healthcare team or your GP for advice.
An artificial elbow never feels quite the same as a normal elbow. It is unlikely that you will be able to fully straighten your elbow and an elbow replacement can wear out with time.
Are there any alternatives to a total elbow replacement?
- Simple painkillers such as paracetamol and anti-inflammatory painkillers such as ibuprofen can help control the pain.
- Supplements to your diet may also help relieve your symptoms. You should check with your doctor before you take supplements.
- Regular moderate exercise can help to reduce stiffness in your elbow.
- A steroid injection into your elbow can sometimes reduce pain and stiffness.
- Sometimes it is possible to have a smaller operation to remove inflamed tissue.