This dish provides a good non-meat source of energy and protein. Cheese supplies calcium and eggs provide vitamins A, D and E. Spinach is a source of both Iron and B Vitamins. This would be a good option for post operation weight maintenance and body repair.
- 300gm plain flour
- 175gm butter
- Pinch salt
- 1 egg yolk
- Iced water
- 200gm spinach leaves
- 1 red pepper
- 300gm feta cheese
- 1 bunch chives
- 5 whole eggs
- 1/2pt single cream
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1tbs chopped parsley
- Begin by making the pastry either by hand or in a food mixer.
- Keeping all of the ingredients cold, put flour into a bowl and add the chopped butter & salt. Mix until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- On slow speed add the egg yolk and a little iced water until the pastry starts pulling together and then turn off the machine. It is important not to over mix or the pastry will be tough.
- Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Lightly grease a 10” loose bottom tin or a similar sized dish.
- Lay the spinach in the bottom of the case and season with salt and pepper.
- Cube the feta and put on top of spinach.
- Thinly slice and sauté the pepper until slightly soft and then add to the tart.
- Mix cream with the milk in a jug and whisk well, adding the nutmeg.
- Pour into tart case and add chopped parsley. Place in the oven at 165 degrees for 45 mins.
- Cool slightly and eat warm with a fresh green salad.