Chicken and basil stew is a good option for post-operation repair, as it provides protein, energy and iron. The chicken thighs are a very good source of protein, phosphorus, niacin, zinc and selenium. The dish contains potatoes which are a good source of carbohydrate energy, along with crusty bread if taken with this stew. This stew does not compromise on flavour with chicken stock, white wine, basil and onions.
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
1 tbsp olive oil 8 chicken thighs
1 tbsp plain flour, seasoned
2 red peppers, diced
1 large white onion, diced
12 new potatoes, halved
150ml white wine
200ml chicken stock
20g pack basil, leaves only
crusty bread, to serve
Per portion 633Kcals (not including bread)
1. Heat the oil in a large, flameproof casserole dish.
2. Dust the chicken thighs with the seasoned flour and add to the dish.
3. Cook over a high heat, turning once, until golden all over.
4. Add the peppers and potatoes to the casserole dish and cook for 3 mins.
5. Pour in the white wine and chicken stock and season with salt and pepper.
6. Cover the dish and simmer for 20-25 mins or until the chicken is cooked through.
7. Stir in the basil and cook for another 5 mins.
8. Serve with some crusty bread, or alternatively the potatoes can be left out and baked in olive oil in the oven for 40 mins @ 170 degrees.
What makes Horder Healthcare unique
Horder Healthcare is committed to providing the very best quality of care for our patients and customers. We are continuously working on improving and reducing risks and this is reflected in our consistently high CQC results, patient satisfaction questionnaires and minimal levels of infection.
We are rated as a 5* healthcare provider
Read our latest patient reviews on the NHS Choices website