This artichoke salad is low in saturated fat and cholesterol which does not compromise on flavour with lemon juice, wine vinegar and garlic. Artichokes are a good source of niacin, vitamin B, iron, phosphorus, potassium, folate, magnesium and a very good source of dietary fibber. The pasta is high in Complex carbohydrates which provides a slower release of energy to keep you going throughout the day. Olives are high in monounsaturated fats (MUFA) which help lower LDL or "bad cholesterol" and increase HDL or "good cholesterol" in the blood.
Per portion 280 Kcals
Ingredients (serves 6)
• 300gm grilled artichoke hearts in oil
• 200gm bow pasta
• 150gm pitted olives
• 12 sun blush tomatoes in oil
• 1 red onion, finely diced
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 1 tbs lemon juice
• 1 tbs red wine vinegar
• 2 tbs olive oil
• ½ bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to prepare
1. First of all cook the pasta in boiling salted water for 8 mins until tender, drain and rinse with cold water and then put into a large bowl.
2. Cut the artichokes in half and add to the pasta.
3. Cut the olives in half and add to the pasta.
4. Cut the tomatoes in half and add to the pasta.
5. Season well, add the garlic and parsley and stir well.
6. Put the lemon juice In a jug, add vinegar and olive oil and whisk well, pour over pasta and mix thoroughly.
Photography by St.John Asprey