In 1960 the Marchioness of Dufferin and Ava purchased from the Secretary of State for War the Crowborough West camp, an old army camp dating form World War 1. In 1963 she gave by Deed of Gift 12½ acres of the 54 acre site on which the Horder Centre was to be built.
The Marchioness had first become associated with the Centre in 1959 and proved to be a most energetic and generous benefactor. In 1960 she approached HRH Princess Margaret who graciously accepted her request to become the third President of the Centre following the sudden death of Countess Mountbatten of Burma. In due course the relationship between the Marchioness and Bochenek deteriorated and in 1966 she resigned from the committee. However without the generosity and influence of the Marchioness in the early days it is doubtful whether the Horder project would have come to fruition.
Photos: top to bottom, Cleaning of the tank guns in front of the tank shed which still stands next to the Hospital. taken before 1945. The Marchioness of Dufferin and Ava. 5th Battalion, Queens Own Royal West Kent Regiment at training at Crowborough West (shown coutesy of janetandrichardsgenealogy.co.uk) just prior to the outbreak of the Great War in 1914. Aerial view of the land given to the charity by the Machioness, the centre sits in the middle.